Tuesday 10 January 2012

TAST week 1: fly stitch (update)



I've added some more "doodles" this weekend so I thought I'd show an updated version of the fly stitch "sampler". You can read more about the sample and TAST challenge in my previous TAST post here.

Ideally I wanted to add a fly stitch pendant too, but it isn't finished yet. Got sidetracked, but not by the usual suspect (Internet), but by a book. Which feels more ok to be consumed by somehow. I'm re-reading Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of al-Rassan so while I should be familiar with the story, I'm still reading it like it's new to me and find cliff hangers that means I just have to read one more chapter. It's a few years since I read it the first time.

Anyway, the fly stitches. It's just a few more variations. Tiny stitches compared to the first ones -- do click the picture for a close-up. I like how a loose twisted fly stitch done upside-down turns into an awareness ribbon. My favourites are the vine on the right and the little wing/moth motif over the second pink flower.

(At first I didn't do many vines/ferns/branches as in Swedish embroidery books that's considered another stitch, kvistsöm. Kvistsöm can also be made in a different way and is then called fern stitch in English.)

And now I'm on to week 2. This time it's all about blanket stitch -- and I intend to use beads this time. Will show pics later this week.

3 comments:

  1. Well done on week one, I have tried to find time for week two but as yet have been able to make a start. The week goes too quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great examples of the fly stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    Yes, time does fly sometimes. My biggest worry about signing up what that I would start to lag behind and give up. So far so good -- can only hope it'll stay that way throughout the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...