Friday 17 June 2011

Ugly ducklings


Not all things you do turn out as well as you'd like them to. This is one example of that. This is one of my etched pendants. It's difficult to get a good pic of a matte and shiny black pendant, but I think you more than well can see the things I don't like about it.

First of all, when I bought these onyx pendants they were an opaque black and I had no idea that my etching would reveal that classic agate banding. I etched it a little longer than necessary , which made the problem worse. Also, the long etching made the sticker I used to make the bird motif started to lift, probably causing the white lines along parts of the silhouette. You live and you learn, I guess...

It's been sitting like this on my table for weeks, months now. Not sure what to do with it. I've thought about either giving it to someone who likes it better than I do, someone having mercy on it, or to try and etch it again, seeing if I can add a lightly etched surface to the motif. Not that I know whether it'll improve it or not, but I've wanted to test "double etching" and the effects I can make that way. And if this pendant is already screwed up, I don't have anything to lose by using it as a guinea pig.

I feel like I'm bullying the poor bird by complaining about it every time I look at it, but on the other hand, I do call it an ugly duckling, not just ugly. I still hope it can transform into, well, if not a swan so at least a prettier bird than I feel it is now. And if I can transform it perhaps I should just have an ugly duckling giveaway at let someone else provide a better home for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...