Saturday 30 April 2011

An experimental flower


I made this little flower (approx. 2 cm wide) a couple of days ago. Have been wanting to make lentil bead flowers like these for some time now and this lovely necklace by Bead Origami made me even more inspired. As I made my first flower, I kept thinking that I wanted a second layer to it and began thinking about ways to add double petals. Another row of lentils felt too chunky (though it can be done) and I realised that small daggers would fit perfectly in the spaces between my round petals. Also, the width meant I could substitute them for the seeds on the back of the flower.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the flower. As it was just an experiment, I didn't pay much attention to colour or even tension, just thought of it as a prototype. So I won't do anything with this particular flower, but rather I'm thinking of ways to use this design element in general, for future projects. The daggers most likely need some support in order not to fold backwards if stressed so my thought was to stitch it to a ring base or some other sort of flat foundation.

It's not the best photo, but I wanted to share it right away so I'm afraid you'll have to make due with this one.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, and I love the vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty colors and very artfully done.
    jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Glad to hear you like my little test flower.

    I did a couple of other versions of this flower, which I'm about to post now. Can't keep making these, though -- I'm running out of lentil beads fast! Usually don't bead with lentils very often so what little I have is soon used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there a pattern for this flower? I want to make a gift for mothers day and want to use this particular flower , one ofthe best ones i have found yet! Thank you and stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

      Afraid there's no pattern, but check out my dagger flower tutorial (click Free Tutorials above and you find it). It's made in the exact same way, but with 6 mm lentils instead of the angled dagger beads, 11 mm daggers and 15/0 seeds instead of fp drops. Then I just added a Miyuki drop bead to the centre.

      Delete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...